This raw kale salad uses both apples and walnuts for crunch. It was a light accompaniment to Sunday night's Light and Flaky Chicken Pot Pie. Very easy and healthy.
Raw Kale Salad with Lemon and Apple
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (half a lemon)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and Pepper
- 8 large leaves Kacinato kale
- 1 large crisp apple (I used a fuji apple)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
Mix lemon juice, honey, mustard in a serving bowl, stirring until honey is dissolved. Season with salt and pepper.
Shred apple (peel and all) into bowl, using the large holes on a grater. Toss to coat with dressing. Slice kale into 1/4 inch ribbons. Add to bowl and toss again. Let sit for 20 minutes. Drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat.
Let stand at room temperature if serving within the hour. Otherwise, cover and refrigerate. Sprinkle with nuts before serving.